Friday, October 15, 2010

Soba Noodles with Broccoli and Chicken




In keeping with my "Kinda Sorta Like Italian Food Week." (remember my tomato chutney?!), I decided to use these Japanese noodles. I found these udon noodles at Ocean State Job Lot a couple of months ago, and they were dirt cheap, so I figured someday, I might actually use them. Well, lo and behold, I found this recipe for soba noodles with chicken, and I figured I could just substitute udon noodles. If you are wondering about the difference between the two, soba noodles are thin buckwheat noodles, and udon noodles are thicker, softer, wheat noodles. Anyway, I followed some of the reviews, and doubled the sauce, since people said it was too dry. I am glad I had more, but I actually wish I had "one and a halfed" the sauce, instead. Anyway, this is an easy recipe, and it is really delicious. It is actually really spicy (I wouldn't recommend doubling the crushed red pepper), but also sweet and gingery, with a nice kick of flavor in every bite. My whole family really liked it - including both babies. Maya basically picked out every piece of chicken, leaving the rest of us with very little. Anyway, this is a definite "make again" meal. We loved it, and the leftovers made a really tasty cold salad the next day!



Make this. Seriously. Kevin's rating: 5 BOWLS!!!



Soba Noodles with Broccoli and Chicken

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups chicken mixture and 1/2 cup noodles)


6 ounces uncooked soba (buckwheat noodles)
1/4 cup sake (rice wine) or dry sherry (I used Sherry because it seemed more versatile, for future recipes)
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
3/4 pound chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces (I used breasts instead)
1 1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
3 cups quartered mushrooms
3 cups broccoli florets
1 cup (1-inch) red bell pepper strips
1 tablespoon bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
2 garlic cloves, minced

Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.

Combine sake and the next 4 ingredients (sake through crushed red pepper) in a small bowl; set aside (I doubled this part, but NOT the crushed red pepper).

Heat 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; stir-fry 4 minutes or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil and sesame oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and remaining ingredients; stir-fry 4 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Return chicken to pan; stir in sake mixture. Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Serve over noodles.


CALORIES 357 (18% from fat); FAT 7g (sat 1.2g,mono 1.9g,poly 3.2g); IRON 3.3mg; CHOLESTEROL 49mg; CALCIUM 61mg; CARBOHYDRATE 43.2g; SODIUM 810mg; PROTEIN 30.1g; FIBER 3.3g

Cooking Light, MAY 2004


No comments:

Post a Comment