Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cranberry Cashew Biryani

I made this side dish to go along with a roast chicken (which my husband has basically been begging me to make again, since I first made it a couple of weeks ago). If you've never had "biryani," it's an Indian, rice based dish, which usually goes with meat or fish. This a vegan version from Appetite for Reduction, boasts a nice blend of spices, along with dried cranberries and chopped cashews. Usually, my family doesn't go crazy for dishes with dried fruit or nuts, but I had heard amazing reviews of this recipe, so felt compelled to try it. I did make some modifications to the recipe, by using ground cumin and mustard, rather than cumin and mustard seed. We aren't big "seed people," so I have given up on using them. Anyway, this is a super easy side dish, and it's a great way to jazz up my typical brown rice. Plus, it takes care of your carb, fruit, veggie, and fat portion of the dinner. Gotta love those food groups.

Anyway... This was incredibly delicious. Kevin didn't make such a big deal about it, because he was so obsessed with the roast chicken, but I thought it tasted so good. The sweet cranberries, blended so well with the Indian spices, and the nutty cashew chunks in the rice were such a nice flavor and texture touch. The only thing I regret about this dish, was that I didn't add chickpeas, to make it a full meal. This was one of those dishes that I thought about all evening, after we had dinner. It felt like I had eaten at an authentic Indian restaurant. Oh, and another huge bonus - it looked so amazingly beautiful. I want to make this one again, but next time, I will make it a meal.

Have I mentioned that you need to buy this book?




No comments:

Post a Comment