Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sun-Dried Tomato Meatballs with Yumyum Marinara Sauce

I found these recipes on various blogs, and put them together to create this amazingly flavorful dish.  I love ground poulty (you may sense a theme, here), so I've been whipping up meatballs and meatloaves like it's my job. I guess it is my job, now that I think about it. Anyway, I put together the sauce, first, and it seemed watery beyond words. I almost dumped it out and tried another version of marinara, but I'm so glad I stuck with this one. It was so delicious. Lots of herbal flavor, and actually, it thickened really nicely, as it simmered. I dumped the meatballs in the sauce, about 45 minutes to a hour, before serving. Oh man... it was good. Really good. Both recipes are easy, but of course, if you want to make the sauce, you have to be home for a while. I ate this over steamed broccoli (I know, you're shocked), and the kids and Kevin ate it over pasta. I was shocked that my lil' wee ones like this, because the basil was strong, but apparently, they are starting to come around, to eating food that actually tastes good. Anyway, I thought we'd have leftovers galore, but we ended up with only a small container, with a few meatballs inside. I give it 4 bowls... Maybe 5. No, 4. I think the only thing this is missing is... well... sugar. Sigh. I will make it again. That's fo' sho'.

Yumyum Marinara (adapted from primalprimos.com)

Ingredients

  • 1 large onion (chopped)
  • 5 cloves garlic (chopped)
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 28oz fire roasted crushed tomatoes
  • 6oz tomato paste
  • 7 cups water
  • 3 tablespoons italian seasoning
  • 2 tablespoons dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon honey (prob adds nothing - I'll skip it next time)
  • 1 pinch crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper

Directions


In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and sauté onion, shallot and garlic until the onion becomes transparent.

Next, add crushed tomatoes, water, tomato paste, seasonings, wine and honey.
Let it simmer for 2-4 hours, adding salt and peppers after the first hour.
































Sun-Dried Tomato Meatballs (adapted from The Preppy Paleo)
1 lb. ground chicken breast
2 tbs. fresh chopped basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
3 minced garlic cloves
1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil (I spoon-drained these, because I wanted more tomatoes, and less oil)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Roll into 1 inch balls. If cooking on stove top, heat 1 tbs. olive oil in a large skillet. Brown meatballs on all sides and then add to pot of sauce or cook completely in the skillet. If you add them to the pot of marinara, let them simmer for another 45 minutes (or so).

Eat. Them. All.


 

I love anything with sun-dried tomatoes. I mean, seriously. Anything.


Mine.

His.





No comments:

Post a Comment