Thursday, April 21, 2011

Snobby Joes.

I can't decide if I've told you about Snobby Joes before. I searched the blog, and couldn't find them, so I if I have already let you in on this gem of a recipe, let this serve as a friendly and gentle reminder. This is one of my favorite things I make. It's easy and delicious, and it's really versatile. We aren't big "Sloppy Joes" fans, so we don't serve this on rolls. I usually make baked potatoes (sweet or white - both are good with this one), rice, or just roasted vegetables. The thing about these, is that they have this deliciously rich tomato sauce, and they are thick with lentils and vegetable. As you may have guessed, I could eat lentils every day of the week, so it's always nice when I find a recipe that is easy to cook, ANY day of the week! One hint to this recipe, is that if you can find Goya lentils in a can, it's even quicker, and easier to both make and clean up. The only issue I have with recipe is.... (drum roll please)...

Kevin only thinks it's medium. Like, 3 Bowls, medium. What a bummer. I hate when that happens. It makes me very whiny. But alas, I will continue to make it, because it is so good. He's clearly, just wrong. Please try this, and pick a side. Kevin or Marji. Who will you choose?





Make this. Please. I say 5 Bowls. Kev says 3.


Snobby Joes

1 cup uncooked green lentils (or 2 cans, drained and rinsed)
4 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
1 green pepper, diced small
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon salt
8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons maple syrup (You can use agave nectar too, and you don't need to use as much as 3 tbl. Just add it "to taste")
1 tablespoon yellow mustard

4 to 6 kaiser rolls or sesame buns (optional – for serving)

Put the lentils in a small sauce pot and pour in 4 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside.

About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat. Saute the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute a minute more. Add the cooked lentils, the chili powder, oregano and salt and mix. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes.

Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through.Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld, or go ahead and eat immediately if you can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment