Friday, November 12, 2010

Ancho Chicken and Hominy Stew

I have made this recipe several times in the past, and it has always gotten rave reviews from my family. I didn't try it in the past, because I wasn't eating chicken at the time, and obviously, this dish is a meaty one. The recipe I used actually calls for pork, but I substituted chicken, because we don't have pork in our house. Anyway, Kevin and Maya liked this one, but I was not a fan. Actually, it tasted okay, but the smell of hominy just doesn't sit well with me. I can't explain it, but it's not my thing. Oh, and in addition, I used this organic, low sodium chicken broth from Whole Foods, that was way too low in sodium. I really think it affected the flavor of the dish. Anyway, this is not a recipe that's worthy of company (though the reviews on Cooking Light were terrific) , but it is a solid recipe, if you like all the ingredients. It's not spicy, and it has a lot of interesting flavors that blend together to create a lovely and unique stew. I'm not into it, but my family raved, so I guess if you put all the reviews together, you might call this a 3 bowler.



Maybe you should try this, and tell me what you think...

Ancho Chicken/Pork and Hominy Stew



This stew recipe is an easy way to feed your family meat and veggies in one dish. Readers rave its quick, easy, and consistently delicious!


Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)


2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I used chicken breasts instead)
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (28-ounce) can hominy, drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained

1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; set 1 1/2 teaspoons spice mixture aside. Add pork to remaining spice mixture in bowl, tossing well to coat.

2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pork mixture to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove pork from pan; set aside. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Return pork to pan. Add reserved 1 1/2 teaspoons spice mixture, broth, hominy, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes.


CALORIES 300 ; FAT 8.3g (sat 2.1g,mono 3.7g,poly 1.4g); CHOLESTEROL 76mg; CALCIUM 51mg; CARBOHYDRATE 26.9g; SODIUM 523mg; PROTEIN 28.9g; FIBER 6.1g; IRON 3.2mg

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment