Monday, November 8, 2010

Sesame Tofu Stir Fry Over Brown Rice (or Soba Noodles)

I really want my family to like tofu. I mean, it's such a healthy, easy thing to make, and it is incredibly versatile. I know I've been a bit stir-fry crazy lately, but I had a block of tofu in the fridge, and wanted to use it before I lost my motivation. This recipe was really just for inspiration - I didn't follow it particularly well, in that I changed all the veggies and tweaked the sauce a bit, but the sauce essentially stayed the same. It was an easy dish to whip up, and I really liked it, but Kevin summed up his feelings, by stating, "This is good... for tofu." So, I guess what it comes down to, is that my family doesn't have any love for this meatless wonder. I personally found this to be a great meatless meal. The tofu has a great texture, and a really nice flavor, without being overly salty. I wish that I had made it over brown rice, because I missed that part of it, but honestly, when I started making the meal, I wasn't exactly sure which recipe I wanted to use, so I went with soba noodles, in case I decided to go in the lo mein direction. Anyway, I am going to keep trying tofu, because I like it, and Kevin doesn't hate it. Hey, they say you need to give a child a food TEN times before they accept and love it. Maybe husbands are the same way?




Sesame Tofu Stir-Fry over Rice


Be careful when stir-frying sesame seeds as they tend to pop and splatter. If you can't find black sesame seeds, use light sesame seeds instead.


Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup rice and 1 1/2 cups mushroom mixture)

1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds (I used toasted - didn't have black)
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 (1-pound) package firm or extrafirm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 teaspoons peanut oil (I used canola)
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
Cooking spray
4 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 3/4 pound) (I used carrots, yellow zucchini, red pepper, and onions)
3 cups (2-inch) slices asparagus (about 1 pound)
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice (I used soba noodles)

Combine sesame seeds and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the tofu cubes; toss gently to coat. Combine oils in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; stir-fry 5 minutes or until tofu is golden. This definitely took me longer than 5 minutes, and it really stuck to my pan, making it next to impossible to clean. I think next time, I might spray the pan, prior to adding the oil. Remove tofu from pan; keep warm.

Return pan to heat; coat with cooking spray. I used a totally new pan, because I had so many veggies, and wanted to use the wok. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 3 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown. Add asparagus; stir-fry 4 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Reduce heat to medium; stir in green onions.

Combine broth and next 4 ingredients (broth through garlic sauce). Add broth mixture to pan; remove from heat (sauce will thicken). Add tofu and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss gently to combine. Serve over rice.


CALORIES 423 (38% from fat); FAT 18g (sat 2.7g,mono 5.4g,poly 8.8g); IRON 15.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 853mg; CARBOHYDRATE 43.1g; SODIUM 737mg; PROTEIN 26.3g; FIBER 8.5g

Cooking Light, MARCH 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment