Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Roasted Vegetable-Rosemary Chicken Soup



Kevin came down with a cold on Monday, so I decided to make chicken soup. I've made this recipe several times, and it always gets really good reviews. It was funny, because it takes a very long time to make. It's not a lot of active time, but you have roast the veggies for an hour, and also let it simmer for an hour, so if you add the time it takes to chop everything, it's really kind of a long process. Anyway, about 30 minutes into making it, I started to feel a sore throat coming on. By the time we sat down to dinner, I had a full blown cold. Ugh. Anyway, I'm glad I had some chicken soup, to go with my cold, you know?

This soup is really mellow. The roasted veggies caramelize, so they add a really nice sweetness to the salty broth. This time, I broke up whole wheat spaghetti, which was a fun alternative to using rotini. I also added parsnips, which lend a really nice flavor to chicken soup. I didn't use fresh rosemary in this soup, and I'm not sure I really added enough of the dried kind, but the soup was very tasty, nonetheless. Next time, I am going to spring for the fresh kind. I think it will add a whole new depth of flavor to the soup. In any case, this is a great dish for my arsenal of soup recipes.




Make this. It's terrific. We gave it 4 Bowls!

Roasted Vegetable-Rosemary Chicken Soup

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)


1 cup (1-inch) cubed carrot
1 cup (1-inch) cubed onion
1 cup coarsely chopped mushrooms
1 cup (1-inch) pieces celery
1 cup (1-inch) pieces red bell pepper
2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
1 cup water
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cups uncooked whole wheat rotini pasta

Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; drizzle with oil, and toss well to coat. Arrange vegetable mixture in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan lined with foil. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally.

Combine water and next 5 ingredients (through chicken) in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Add roasted vegetables; simmer 30 minutes. Bring soup to a boil. Add pasta; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.



CALORIES 176 (25% from fat); FAT 4.8g (sat 0.8g,mono 3g,poly 0.7g); IRON 1.5mg; CHOLESTEROL 33mg; CALCIUM 45mg; CARBOHYDRATE 15.5g; SODIUM 450mg; PROTEIN 17.9g; FIBER 2.3g

Cooking Light, JANUARY 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment