Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sesame Red Lentils

I'm not really sure I should have been writing about this recipe, because it tasted remarkably similar to most of the things I cook. Had I followed this recipe exactly, I think I would have loved it. Unfortunately, I used brown lentils instead of red, and vegetable oil, as opposed to peanut. I think those substitutions didn't make this a unique recipe. It should have had a uniquely Asian, sesame flavor, and the flavor was way too subtle to detect. I still loved this dish, but it was sort of boring, and left me wishing I had made one of my go-to lentil soup recipes, instead. It's certainly a solid recipe, but it wasn't particularly memorable, in comparison to other lentil dishes in my repertoire. If this sounds good to you, you should definitely give it a try. Made the right way, I'm sure it's delicious. Made my way, it was only "good." But hey, some dinners are only... good. Right?





Maybe you should make this, and actually follow the recipe. 3 Bowls, with the potential for 4!

Sesame Red Lentils

Lentils and sesame seeds combine in this savory, nutty side dish to provide about 10 percent of daily magnesium needs.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)


2 teaspoons peanut oil
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots (about 4 medium)
2 cups dried small red lentils
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted

Heat oils in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots; cook 3 minutes or until tender. Add lentils, 1 1/2 cups water, soy sauce, salt, and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in green onions. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.


CALORIES 210 (14% from fat); FAT 3.3g (sat 0.4g,mono 1g,poly 0.9g); IRON 3.1mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 45mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31.5g; SODIUM 310mg; PROTEIN 14.3g; FIBER 7.7g

Cooking Light, AUGUST 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment