Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Tandoori Chicken Sate with Broccoli Saute

I am a big fan of one pot meals. Usually, we eat something that incorporates veggies and grains, and mix it all together, in one, big, comforting bowl of warmth. On Monday night, I decided to create a meal that didn't consist of a bowl of mush. What a concept! I started, by buying a giant box of sweet potatoes at Costco. We never eat baked potatoes, so I was excited to make them. I also marinated chicken breasts in a yogurt marinade. The chicken was supposed to be cooked on skewers, but I didn't have any on hand, and honestly, unless I am entertaining, I don't really see the point. This marinade is really delicious. It's not exactly like the type of tandoori chicken you get at an Indian restaurant (which I adore), but it is definitely tasty and unique. I have a feeling that the tandoori you eat at a restaurant has sugar in it, and this recipe is spices, ginger, garlic, and yogurt. I wonder if adding a pinch of brown sugar, would transform it into the tandoori chicken of my favorite Indian hot spot - Taste of India, in West Hartford. It was really a hit among my whole family.









dMake this, but keep your eye on the broiler! It easily gets tough! 4 Bowls!


Tandoori Chicken Sate



Yield: 24 servings (serving size: 1 skewer)


1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon chopped peeled gingerroot
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 garlic clove
6 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
Vegetable cooking spray
Lemon wedges (optional)
Cilantro sprigs (optional)

Place the first 11 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping sides of processor bowl once. Combine yogurt mixture and chicken in a large zip-top heavy-duty plastic bag. Seal bag, and marinate in refrigerator 2 hours, turning bag occasionally.

Remove chicken from bag, and discard marinade. Thread chicken strips onto 24 (6-inch) skewers. Place skewers on broiler pan coated with cooking spray, and broil 6 minutes on each side or until chicken is done. Arrange skewers on a serving platter, and garnish with lemon wedges and cilantro sprigs, if desired.


CALORIES 27 (20% from fat); FAT 0.6g (sat 0.1g,mono 0.3g,poly 0.1g); IRON 0.2mg; CHOLESTEROL 12mg; CALCIUM 5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 0.2g; SODIUM 27mg; PROTEIN 5g; FIBER 0.0g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 1995

The funny thing about this meal, is that the biggest star, was the sauteed broccoli. I was going to roast it, but then I realized that my oven would be baking potatoes and broiling chicken, so I wouldn't have enough space. I searched for a recipe that involved broccoli on the stove top, and I found this Food Network recipe, that had gotten excellent reviews. It is pretty basic, but tastes absolutely delicious - nutty, spicy, sweet, light. I will definitely be making this again. It's kind of a mix between sauteed broc, and steamed broc. If you are a broccoli lover (like me), you'll love this one.

Make this! Easy peasy, and 5 Bowls!

Sauteed Broccoli
Ingredients

* 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
* Pinch red pepper flakes
* 1 bunch broccoli, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
* 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Heat the olive oil, garlic, and pepper flakes in a large skillet of medium heat until fragrant and garlic begins to brown, about 30 seconds. Stir in broccoli and cook until the broccoli is bright green, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth and season with salt and pepper and cook until just tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment