Thursday, January 13, 2011

2nd Avenue Vegetable Korma



This week, I am reviewing Isa Chandra Moskowitz's new masterpiece: Appetite for Reduction. Isa is the author of Veganomicon, Vegan Brunch, and Vegan with a Vengeance. We love vegan delicacies in our house, so this was a welcome addition to my cookbook shelf. Well, actually, it's the first cookbook I've bought in ages, and I only did it, because I knew I couldn't find the recipes online, and I was really just dying to try some of these dishes. I went out to Trader Joe's on Tuesday, and loaded up with a lot of fresh produce. I was a tad intimidated, and concerned that I wouldn't use everything I bought, but I did it anyway. I had a few newbies and rarely used items in my cart, including brussels sprouts, kale, and cauliflower (which I just don't use all that often). I was really excited to get started.

Night One: A delicious and beautiful Veggie Korma. Korma originates in India, and is defined as a dish where meat or vegetables are braised in water or stock, and cream (or in this case, coconut milk). It also includes the typical Indian spices, like coriander, cumin, garam masala, etc. This recipe was really easy to put together, and it took very little time. We liked it. Actually, I really loved it, until Kevin said that he only thought it was "okay." That got me thinking, and suddenly, I didn't like it as much. The big problem with this dish, was that it was really only a side dish. There was no protein - not a bean nor meat substitute to be found. Now, I am typically okay with that. I could live on giant bowls of well seasoned veggies - but not Kevin. For him, this was seriously lacking in richness and substance. Don't get me wrong - it tasted great. It just felt like it needed a can of chickpeas, or chunks of Indian spiced tofu. I want to make this again, but it definitely missed the mark for my husby, so I'm not sure it will ever see its way onto our dinner table again.

I thought this was 4 Bowls, but Kevin calls it 3 Bowls. Can we compromise at 3.5?!
Sadly, I can't post this recipe, because of copyright laws. If I could find it anywhere on the internet, I might post it, but if it looks good to you, I highly recommend the book. Everything in it looks delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment