Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chicken Paprikash

This recipe looked so easy, and so delicious - I just had to try it. It's a quickie. It truly only takes 30 minutes (maybe less) to throw together. I threw in some frozen peas in the end, because I am always a fan of adding more veggies. The end result... Good. Not great, not even very good. Just plain good. I really liked all the ingredients, but when put together, the product was sort of one dimensional. I think if you like simple, home cooked meals, with nice, mellow flavors, you'd probably really enjoy this. I found it relatively bland. The caraway seeds lend a nice, nutty undertone, which I thought was the highlight of the dish. Basically, I think I've come to like more complex flavors, and this just didn't do it for me. That being said, it was a good, solid dinner, when you are pressed for time, and want to use up some canned tomato goods that are lingering in the pantry. I'd be very curious to hear other reviews of it. If you make it, let me know what you think!





Maybe you should try this, and tell me your thoughts... 3 Bowls.



Chicken Paprikash


This chicken paprikash recipe is a saucy dish best served with egg noodles. Toss the noodles with a bit of butter, caraway seeds, salt, and pepper for added flavor.



Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)


1 tablespoon canola oil
1 pound chicken breast tenders, cut into 1-inch strips
1 cup prechopped onion
1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper (about 1 medium)
1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained

Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan, and keep warm.

Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Return chicken to pan. Stir in cream and remaining ingredients; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until chicken is done and sauce is slightly thick.



CALORIES 241 (31% from fat); FAT 8.2g (sat 2.4g,mono 3.3g,poly 1.7g); IRON 1.8mg; CHOLESTEROL 76mg; CALCIUM 51mg; CARBOHYDRATE 12.9g; SODIUM 507mg; PROTEIN 28.4g; FIBER 3.1g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment