Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Vegetable Pakoras

Okay, I know I said "No more curry," but I found this when I was looking for a recipe to use up some sweet potatoes and cauliflower. We had tons of leftovers in the fridge, so this was meant to be a nice little side dish, to accompany the curries and chilis that have been lingering for a week. So, basically, this was an easy recipe, that kind of reminded me of a veggie latke. I had a few problems with the flavor, though. Basically, these were kind of bland. I didn't quite follow the recipe as directed, because I made an attempt to cut down on the peanut oil, and I used egg whites instead of a whole egg. I didn't really think this would affect the flavor, but it most definitely did. This is a habit with me - I always try to trim the fat out of recipes, and then I am disappointed when they don't have a fabulous flavor. So... these had the potential to be great, and next time, they will be. I take full credit for the fact that these didn't make it to 4 bowls. They were pretty good, but they needed that mango chutney boost, to really taste great. I will try these again, when my fam is in the mood for curry!



3 Bowls. I should have followed the recipe as directed...

Vegetable Pakoras


These Indian fritters get their intensity from Madras curry powder. A hit of chutney cools the palate.



Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 pakoras and 1 tablespoon chutney)


3 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2/3 cup)
2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup (1/4-inch) diced peeled sweet potato
1 cup (1/4-inch) pieces cauliflower
1/2 cup finely diced onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 jalape�o pepper, finely diced
3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
6 tablespoons mango chutney

1. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, curry powder, cumin, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Combine 1/3 cup water and egg, stirring with a whisk. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir until smooth. Cover; let stand 10 minutes.

2. Place sweet potato in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain and cool to room temperature. Add sweet potato, cauliflower, onion, cilantro, garlic, and jalape�o to flour mixture; stir until well combined (batter will be very thick).

3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to pan, swirling to coat. Drop 2 tablespoons batter into pan, and flatten slightly with the back of a spoon. Repeat procedure to make 6 pakoras. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan; drain on paper towels. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and batter. Serve with chutney.



CALORIES 198 (30% from fat); FAT 6.5g (sat 1.2g,mono 2.9g,poly 1.9g); IRON 1.5mg; CHOLESTEROL 35mg; CALCIUM 26mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30.9g; SODIUM 393mg; PROTEIN 3.5g; FIBER 1.9g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2008



No comments:

Post a Comment