Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Lentil Carrot Stew, with Crash Hot Potatoes

This lentil carrot stew is by far, the easiest, quickest, and cheapest meal I make. It is also one of the best. Kevin and I both gobble it down every time I make it. I try to cook it once every 2 weeks or so, because it's a nice go-to meal when we are low on time and ingredients. It's also super healthy, so it's the perfect fast food. The funny thing about lentil soup, is that it's starchy, so it's tough to find the perfect accompaniment (i.e. side dish). Maya is on a potato kick, though, so I decided to make these "Crash Hot Potatoes" from the Pioneer Woman Cooks blog. I've been hearing great things about these taters, and my family thought they were like little individual sized mashed potato latkes. Anyway, Maya sucked down these Crash Hots like they were candy, while Kevin and I enjoyed our lentil soup, as always. I love vegan dinners. Here's how I make the lentil carrot stew:

Ingredients
7 cups of water or vegetable broth
1 cup of lentils
1 cup of barley or brown rice
3 cups of carrots, chopped
3 tbl of dried minced onions (you can use a fresh onion instead)
a pinch of crushed red pepper
15 oz can of tomato sauce

Combine all ingredients except tomato sauce in a large soup pot or dutch over. Bring to a boil, then turn to medium low, and simmer, half covered, for 45 minutes. Add the can of tomato sauce, and continue to simmer for 15 minutes, or until lentils, rice, and carrots are at your desired level of mushiness (we tend to like super-mush).

Crash Hot Potatoes, with kosher salt, rosemary, and pepper.
Lentil carrot Stew, Kevin's way - with 4 ice cubes to cool it down.
Lentil Carrot Stew, my way - with steamed broccoli.




The Critique

Lentil soup - This is my favorite thing that Marji makes. I think that she puts crack in it because I can't stop eating it. I think that if I had to choose between losing an appendage and never eating this meal, I would choose to never eat this meal. I would be very relieved to still have my full body, but it would be bittersweet because there would be a hole in my stomach yearning for this fix. It tastes great, has wonderful texture, is good for you, and is easy and cheap to make. Hands down, 5 bowls of soup.





Squashed potatoes: Also, great new take on a wonderful staple that Marji makes. They're sort of like eating a potato latke but much better, healthier, with less oil, and with totally different taste. They just make you feel good - like it's Hanukkah in July. 4 bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment