Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Lentil Loaf with Grilled Onion and Potatoes

I love the idea of Meatless Mondays, even though we have many meatless days around these parts. This week, I decided to make this lentil loaf, from My Vegan Cookbook. I've made it before, but, frankly, it's a lot of work. The recipe has a lot of ingredients, and the first (and only other time) I made it, I made several mistakes, which led to sort of an odd tasting, oddly textured loaf. This time, on the other hand, I did it right. It was delicious, and it actually stayed together, which is saying a lot for a vegetarian loaf. The thing I like about this one, is that the "glue," is actually tofu, not eggs. It's incredibly healthy and has a perfect blend of spices. The topping is a sweet and spicy tomato mixture, and there is leftover to use as a dipping sauce. I recently bought a new grill pan, so I decided to use it to make these grilled potatoes with vidalia onions. They came out good, but I needed to finish them off in the oven, since they didn't cook quite quickly enough. All in all, a very tasty, meatless meal!

There were about 10 more ingredients... These were just the pantry ones..."


Tasty lentil loaf.
Maybe not so pretty, but tastes good nonetheless.

Who knew you could grill onions and taters right on the stovetop?

My daughter loved these.


The critique
I loved it. This is my second time eating this and she greatly improved from the first time. It was much more solidly put together, and had the most amazing taste to it. Also, the tomato paste had less of the "makes your face pucker" issue, which can sometimes detract from the experience. I loved the food, but it's extremely unfilling, which is an issue with vegetarian food for me. I literally ate the entire loaf. 4 bowls.


The vegetables were phenomenal. I'm in love with the roasted onions thang. Bring it! 4 bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment