Tuesday, July 13, 2010

White Chili.



The idea of "White Chili" sort of skeeves me out, though I have no idea why. I have made so many chili recipes in the past year though, all of them have been... okay. This one came from an old school issue of Cooking Light, and for some reason, it really spoke to me. It was also easy to make, although it called for a 19 oz can of cannellini beans, which is a size that I don't think really exists. Anyway, I modified it by using the hot sauce I had in the house (red, not green), and by omitting the yogurt and lime wedges. The result was a deliciously spicy, hearty, and filling dinner. I served the chili over rice, though the recipe says you should serve it with homemade cornbread. It reheated very well, too, so bring on the leftovers!

Want the recipe? Click here.


CRITIQUE

This white chili was GREAT! It had such flavor in your mouth that it makes you say, "that's some tasty food" and you want to continue eating and swallowing. You feel like you're eating something healthy but surprisingly yummy. Marji's soupy meals really maximize this delicate combination. It's been a few days since I ate this meal, and in thinking back on it, it's making me want to go eat some of it. That's usually a good indicator of a 5-bowler but now that I think about it, I remember giving it 4 bowls of soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment