Saturday, August 28, 2010

Beef, Beer, and Barley Stew

I decided to try this recipe on a whim, in order to use up some goodies in the fridge. It looked... weird. There were several ingredients in this one, that I'd never used in a stew before, including beer, horseradish, and worcestershire sauce. I honestly did not think this would be a hit. It require quite a bit of simmering time (1.5 hours), so I prepped this, turned it down low, and we took the kiddos out to the playground for a while. When we got home, the stew was perfectly cooked, so we sat down to dinner almost immediately. I always let Kevin be the judge of a beef dish, since I don't eat beef, but this one was, at the least, very beautiful. It was a nice mixture of brothy and chunky, with just the right amount of barley and veggies. The one thing I didn't like about this creation, was that it smelled distinctly of beer. I figured the broth would taste exactly like beer, but Kevin didn't think so. I'll let him review this one, but I'll just say that it was a big hit with both Kevin and Maya. I'll definitely be making this one again.



No comments:

Post a Comment