Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sweet Potato Biscuits

First, a public service announcement:

You MUST eat some cantaloupe this summer. They are in season and delicious. This cantaloupe made my day...




After making the sweet potato breads on Tuesday, I had exactly 1 cup of mashed sweet potato left, and no home for it, so I decided to make biscuits. I knew I was taking the kids to Karen's (my sis in law) house, for breakfast on Wednesday, so these biscuits seemed like a perfect option. The recipes comes from Cooking Light, and the biscuits are definitely light - they weigh next to nothing, and don't have the typical heavy, buttery feeling of a decadent buttermilk biscuit. I didn't find them to have a particularly strong sweet potato taste, but they were good, nonetheless. Unfortunately, I didn't make them quite high enough, so they looked more like orange cookies, but the taste was decent. I think I would make these again for a brunch, or for a fall holiday, but they aren't something I'm going to be making on a weekly basis or anything. One major plus: They were EASY to throw together. Perfect as a last minute baked good to bring to any sort of potluck breakfast or lunch.

This recipe calls for a 2 inch biscuit cutter, but mine is 2.5 inches, which led to my slightly wider, flatter biscuits.



No comments:

Post a Comment