Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sun-Dried Tomato Meatloaf with Red Currant-Wine Sauce, and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes

id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5507603292793013698" border="0" />
We really enjoyed the Szechuan Chicken Meatloaf I made a couple of weeks ago, so I decided to try my hand at this Italian style meatloaf, which looked delicious, and got great reviews on the Cooking Light website. I modified this recipe, to use chicken, instead of turkey, and I omitted the cheese from the recipe, due to Kevin's preference for cheese freedom. I also halved the recipe, because it is meant to make 2 loaves, and I didn't want that many leftovers. Anyway, I actually started this dish, by prepping all the veggies the day before, and then just adding the meat on the day I cooked it. The Red Currant-Wine sauce is a 5 minute addition to drizzle on the loaf. I was really impressed by this recipe. It has a really nice, fresh basil flavor, and the tartness of the sun-dried tomatoes is a nice addition. I would have loved this with the cheese, but I really liked it a lot without it, too. The sauce is really delicious - it's sweet with a hint of wine, and it adds a nice sweet moisture to the loaf. It was also great on the mashed potatoes.

The Horseradish Mashed Potatoes came from a bunch of different recipes, that I just sort of put together, to create a master recipe. Kevin doctored it a little, too, so I'll just post it at the bottom of the page. When all was said and done, these taters were delicious. Even Maya loved them, with the spicy horseradish and all.

I've been buying these big bags of fresh, chopped broccoli at BJ's. The problem is, we have to eat broccoli every day, so it doesn't spoil. We've really come to love roasted broccoli in our house.


Saucy.


Horseradish Mashed Potatoes


2.5 pounds of russet potatoes - peeled and cut into chunks
2 tbl horseradish (less or more, to taste)
1 tsp of kosher salt
1/4 tsp of fresh, coarse ground pepper
1 tbl butter
2/3 cup of warm, nonfat milk


Critique
Delicious. I want more. 5 bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment