Monday, August 9, 2010

Red Lentil Stew

There are some dishes that look pretty disgusting, but taste divine. Given the choice, my food would always look beautiful - but there are some things that just cannot be! This dish didn't look pretty... at all. Fortunately, in my opinion, it tasted heavenly. I love red lentils, but don't make them all that often, because they are a tad more expensive than their green counterparts. Anyway, this red lentil stew was a flavorful puree of peppers, onions, lentils, and garlic, with a delicious kick of tomatoes and curry (it should have had a yogurt sauce, which I skipped, due to personal preference). I served this stew over wild rice pilaf (for Kevin) and roasted broccoli (for me), and I'm glad I did, because it was not a chunky stew, and lacked the texture I know Kevin and I like in a soup. The flavor was terrific, but next time, I think I will make some roasted carrots, onions, and cauliflower and server them under the soup, for a smokey, charred flavor, and some good chunk. I want to make this again soon - I have craved it ever since my last bite.

This soup stews with whole tomatoes, and is then pureed with an immersion blender.

Wild Rice Pilaf

Hmmmm... Lack of chunks.

So delicious over roasted broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment