Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sweet Potato Chicken Curry

We had a dinner guest on Wednesday, and, though it was meant to be a casual family dinner, plus one guest, I was excited to make a delicious dindin. Kevin has raved about this dish before, but I had never tasted it, since I was not eating chicken at the time. I made this on Wednesday, as per Kevin's request, but did it a tad differently, because I felt the need to double the recipe, due to having an extra man at the table. The recipe supposedly serves 4, but I know that Kevin loves it, and eats a lot a dinner, and I hadn't even met Mike, so I wasn't sure if it would be enough. The problem with doubling a recipe like this, is that it's a stew of sorts, so by doubling it, you double the meat, spices, and the liquid, which makes it into more of a soup. That's fine, but it wasn't meant to be a soup, so I'm thinking it was a little too... soupy. Anyway, next time, if I intend to double it, I will double the meat, but I will only 1.5 the broth and spices. I probably need to play around with the proportions. Any suggestions?

Anyway, despite all that, it was quite delicious. It has a distinct Indian food flavor, but is not overpowering. The chicken comes out perfectly cooked, juicy and tender, and the sweet potatoes are such a nice contrast to the salty, curry flavor that coats the chicken. The last minute addition of peas, make this dish beautiful in so many ways. If you are having a dinner guest that you know loves Indian food, this is a keeper. I served it over rice, with a nice green salad and the pretty rolls I posted about yesterday. I just wish my family could appreciate it (curry haters!)... It's really good. The only problem with this recipe, is that it is very time consuming. Basically, it takes 2 hours, and quite a bit of it is active time. I have become very good at prepping my veggies in the morning or during my kids' nap time, so that makes it a lot easier, but I can see how this would be an intimidating dish for many!



The Critique
I was eating some of these leftovers at work and some of the nurses asked if my wife was Indian. Her food is that authentic. This is amazing. It's one of my favorite things that my wife makes and this was no exception. This tastes so professionally made and has the perfect amount of seasoning in it. The chicken is cooked so nicely that it's like the chicken got into a boxing match and got the crap kicked out of it before getting butchered. That's how tender the meat is. Oh, it's nice. But this version was not as good as previous ones, probably because she doubled the recipe and it was a bit watery. So, this get's 5 bowls based on its historical significance, and even when it's not at its best, it's THAT good.

5 bowls

No comments:

Post a Comment