Sunday, August 22, 2010

Chicken Scallopini, Veggie Orzo Toss, and Braised Peas and Onions

As I previously mentioned, we had a lovely dinner with Burt, my father-in-law, on Saturday night. I made Chicken Scallopini for the main course, with an orzo and veggie toss, and braised peas and onions on the side. I had never made any of the dishes before, so, of course, I was uncertain as to how they would come out. Well, the chicken was cooked really nicely - moist, with a nice, well seasoned breading. The glaze, made with broth, wine, and capers, was okay, though a little thin for my taste. I didn't feel it needed the glaze, though, so I was happy to skip it. The chicken was moist enough, as it was.




This orzo toss wasn't as much a recipe, as it was a "side dish idea" from Cooking Light. Kevin isn't a fan of cherry tomatoes, so I used sundried tomatoes instead. I really liked the flavor of the orzo, though it came out a little dry. Here's how it's done:

Orzo, Tomato, and Zucchini Toss

Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes (or chopped sun-dried toms), 1 cup chopped zucchini, and 2 minced garlic cloves; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes; sautß 1 minute or until zucchini is crisp-tender. Combine tomato mixture, 3 cups hot cooked orzo, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss well.



Lastly... The peas. Honestly, I love vegetables, and never need them dressed with anything, but I tried this anyway, just to see if we would like dolled up veggies. I really liked these - super flavorful, but really mellow and light. We ended up mixing the orzo and peas together, to give flavorful moisture to the orzo. These were 2 winning side dishes, that came together really nicely. I'll definitely be making both of them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment