Monday, August 30, 2010

Bree's Lentil-Tomato Soup

I don't know who Bree is, but apparently, she loves lentil soup, so she submitted a recipe to Cooking Light. As you may have noticed, I make lentil soup on a very regular basis. We love lentil soup in our house, and I have several (hundred) great recipes. I like to try new things, though, so this one caught my eye. It got rave reviews on the website, so I figured, how bad could it be? Well, this is a good, solid recipe. It's tasty, and sort of tangy, which I think comes from the turmeric. The blend of spices makes this taste like a very basic, good quality lentil soup. Kevin even mentioned that it tastes similar to the soups you find in a can. This may or may not be a compliment... I'm not too sure. Anyway, if you are a beginner at lentil soup, this is a winner. However, I have made so many lentil soups, and this one isn't as good as almost any of them. I give is a big fat "medium." Definitely tasty. Definitely warming and flavorful. The best? Nope. I probably won't make it again. I have too many other recipes I like better, but I would recommend it to others, because it is a solid, easy, kid friendly recipe, that takes very little prep time. Oh, and by the way, I added barley to this recipe, because it definitely needed some "chunk." It's really low calorie, too, so the addition of barley, makes this a nice wholesome meal.

My new basil plant! My Aunt Beth prompted me to try this... I have a few questions, though. Aunt Beth, I'm shooting you an email, so you can give me a tutorial!

Roasted broccoli: The perfect side dish.

We should make a club: Lentil Lovers of America.

In my family, nothing is better than a bowl of soup.


The Critique
Good soup, but not as good as the other lentil soups that Marji's made before. Had a slightly bitter aftertaste, but it had the typical flavor of a lentil soup. Liked it but didn't love it.

3 bowls

No comments:

Post a Comment